5.06.2008

Happy Cinco De Mayo!

For some reason Dan and I have always loved having a get together on Cinco De Mayo. It's really just a good excuse to get together and eat a lot of really good food and last night was no exception. For some dumb reason I forgot to take pictures but I do have some recipes that are really yummy!
Shrimp Cakes
I got this recipe from Real Simple and it is just that real simple! (I did make some minor adjustments to the recipe)



Recipe:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 jalapeño
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs

Pulse the shrimp in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add jalapeño, orange zest, salt, and pepper and pulse to combine.

Place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Shape the shrimp mixture into 8 patties and dredge in breadcrumbs.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Eat and Enjoy!

Helpful tip: The uncooked patties (without the breadcrumbs) can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours or frozen for up to 3 months. Dredge in breadcrumbs before cooking.

Jalapeño Poppers
I'm not sure if this is a New Mexican thing but I thought everyone knew about these yummy little bites and turns out not so many people do...so here is the recipe.
Disclaimer:
I typically try to cook really healthy food for my family but this recipe is an exception and they are worth every calorie!

Recipe:
6-8 jalapeños cut in half and seeds scraped out
4 oz. cream cheese
1 package of bacon

Cut the jalapeños in half and scrape out all the seeds. Spread cream cheese in the middle of the jalapeño and wrap with bacon from top to bottom (if bacon is not staying put use a toothpick through the middle of the jalapeño).

Cook on a grill over medium high to high heat until bacon starts to get crispy. Then place them on the upper grill or on a lower heat setting (low) for about 20-30 minutes until jalapeños are tender. Then Eat and Enjoy!

4 comments:

jordan said...

mmmm, I totally forgot about the jalepeno rockets! Thanks for reminding me. :)

Natalie said...

Hey, we had our own Fiesta down here in AZ land! I wished we lived closer so we could've fiesta-ed together! Recipes look good...I will have to give them a shot!

Cardon Family said...

Such a good excuse for a party! Yummy recipes....I will have to give them a whirl sometime!

kristina said...

yum!!! your such an amazing cook! please teach!