2.24.2011

Hello my name is...

It's always a little nerve wracking when my older children come and meet their new baby for the first time. I never really know how they are going to react, plus because I have been in the hospital for the last few days their normal schedule has been disrupted which always throws my kids for a loop.

Jack was very excited to meet Ben and he has been in love with him ever since. It has been fun having a child old enough to understand what is going on. He loves that he has a baby brother and he is always saying sweet things about him like:
"That baby is just so special"
"Baby Ben you are handsome and cute"
"Baby Ben you were born in this family and we love you so much"
"Mom we are going to have to tell Vandy (our nanny here in Cambodia) to be so gentle with the baby" *this was before we moved back

Here is BenVan all ready to meet his brother and sister
Jack smitten with his baby Ben


Jane wasn't so sure what to think of Ben in the beginning. She has always loved being the center of attention and she quickly realized that the baby was going to take a little of that away from her. She has been really good with him as far as being gentle and nice but she does get jealous on occasion when I have to direct my attention to the baby for a while.

She was uncomfortable to say the least when we had her hold him for the first time.

Oddly enough putting sunglasses on her made her more comfortable. Go figure!
*My sister Leah pointed out that she bears a striking resemblance to Willy Wonka (Johny Depp style) 
Once again not really digging it!
Jack is always inches from Ben's face.  He can be a tad smothering at times.

So tiny...oh I wish they stayed that small forever.
Transitioning from baby to big sister really took it out of this girl. She could not keep her eyes open and I was trying every trick up my sleeve to keep her awake!

There is just something about having a baby that literally changes your perspective. All the sudden Jane who I was still calling "baby Jane" the day before was so massive to me.  Instantly everyone in the family shifts in positions and it's almost like having a group identity crisis. It always takes me a while to figure out all our new roles in this new family and learn to embrace how it has changed us. It wasn't quite so intense this time and I really credit Ben for it. He was such an easy going baby and it allowed me to spend a lot of time and give a lot of attention to Jack and Jane. Now that we are fully adjusted to the transition I am so grateful for this new little family. Having 3 kids is so much fun and I love them so much (but I am REALLY glad I have a nanny again!!!)

2 comments:

The Hillan Family said...

Oh these are so neat! You can tell he is a really sweet baby and I love how sweet the kids are with him! Melt melt!!!

kristina said...

oh my goodness, I miss these babies!!! it was fun to check out all the posts I have missed! I suck at blogging lately, but I will keep up on yours, don't want to miss on the happenings in Cambodia! love you guys!!